10 Tips for Healthy Mouth
- Do remember to brush your teeth twice daily with fluoride toothpaste and clean between your teeth daily with floss or interdental cleaner.
- Do choose oral care products that carry American Dental Association Seal of Acceptance - a symbol of a product’s safety and effectiveness.
- Do eat balanced diet for good overall health, selecting a variety of foods from the five main food groups (bread, cereal, and other grain products; fruits; vegetables; meat; poultry; fish; and alternates; milk, cheese, and yogurt), and limit snacks.
- Do see dentist regularly for a dental exam and professional cleaning - a key to helping prevent tooth decay and periodontal (gum) disease.
- Do tell your dentist about any medical conditions you have or any medications you are taking - whether prescription or over-the-counter.
- Do ask your dentist about cosmetic options for improving the appearance of teeth that are stained or chipped.
- Don’t smoke cigarettes, cigars, a pipe or use other tobacco products; they can increase your risk of periodontal disease and cancer of the mouth and throat.
- Don’t ignore gums that bleed when you brush or floss or changes in the way your teeth fit together when you bite.
- Don’t chew hard objects like ice, nuts or pencils that could crack a tooth.
- Don’t forget to wear a mouthguard when playing active sport.